Can I be honest for a second?
I really dread when people ask me what I do. I mean, it's complicated. When I tell people that I work from home, most assume that I'm caught up in some MLM scheme or work for a call center. If I tell people that I work for a zoo as a Membership Ambassador, they automatically assume that it's my full-time main-stay gig, and well, it's my side-stay!
So what do I say?
Typically, my answer goes something like this, "Oh! I work from home as a virtual assistant and freelance writer! I also work part-time as a Membership Ambassador at the zoo!"
Which only leads to more questions, of course! Some of the questions I get asked on a daily basis are:
• What does a virtual assistant do?
• How much do you get paid?
• What all do you offer your clients?
• People pay you for that?!
• Which job pays more?
• How do you find clients?
• How do you work at home with the kids?
• How can I do what you do?
The goal in writing this is to answer a lot of people's questions about what I do and offer my clients!
• As a virtual assistant, my job is to support my clients in their own businesses. I become their business bestie and work with them to ensure that every decision they make with me reflects positively on their brand.
• My current rate for virtual assistance starts at $179 per week.
You can read more about that here if you're interested in hiring me: http://www.taraglenn.com/work-with-me.html
• I specialize in writing and editing for my clients. I often do their blogs, newsletters, website copy, and social media scheduling. I also create graphics using Canva, transcribe their notes and then form them into useable content, business strategy and planning, branding, email and customer support services, light research, and more. In 2017, I will be adding stock photography options for my packages as well!
• Absolutely people pay me for that! Momma don't work for free and I help keep their businesses moving forward so they can make all the money!
• I get paid way more money working from home! But my dream has always been to work at our zoo, and I enjoy it very much so I'll be sticking around until we PCS from this area! (Gotta love military life!)
• I find clients mainly through networking events and groups online. I often get clients from word-of-mouth referrals as well.
• From babies, I have always encouraged a little bit of self-play each day, and it's no big thing for our younger children to go off and play with their own toys during the day. Typically, they drag whatever they're obsessed with at the moment into the living room and we play together, and then I work on a project for a short period of time, and then I play with them again. When my husband comes home, he takes over kid duty and starts dinner. Our older children will often play with the younger ones while they're home so I can work on projects as well. My entire schedule revolves around the needs of my family though: school pickup, medical appointments, sports, important events, evening walks, etc. They don't mind when I'm pulled away for the most part because they know that I'll be there when it counts.
• Anyone with an internet connect, business sense, and basic grammar knowledge can do a lot of what I do. I suggest that if you do want to be a virtual assistant that you work in a business related industry at the management level for at least a 1-2 years before starting your own business so that you can gain experience in customer service and working as in a professional capacity.
I hope that you enjoyed a little insight into my world! Do you want to be a VA or do you need a VA?
Let me know in the comments! I'd love to chat!